Canada Federal Skilled Worker


Canada PR Federal skilled worker visa is designed for professionals with the qualifications, skills or experiences to fill Canada’s skill shortages and contribute to the Canadian economy.

Applicants for this visa must demonstrate that they meet the minimum visa requirement which includes having work experience; one year of which should be in a designated occupation, a job offer from a Canadian employer, or be a foreign worker or student currently living in Canada.

Additionally, applicants are required to meet the points based assessment. The Canada Immigration or Canada PR Skilled Worker Visa point’s selection system requires a pass mark of 67 out of 100 points and is assessed on six main factors including age, education, work experience, language ability, adaptability and arranged employment in canada.

Successful applicants are granted a permanent residence visa and are entitled to live and work in Canada without any restrictions.

Educational Credential Assessment

Prospective applicants need to start the process of getting an Educational Credential A

Applicants should meet the other program eligibility requirements:

  • A qualifying offer of arranged employment or are applying under the PhD stream or eligible occupations stream
  • Meet the minimum language threshold through a designated third-party test.

Applicants who have Canadian educational credentials do not need to get an ECA, unless they are also submitting a foreign educational credential in support of their application.

The ECA process will help determine if the foreign educational credential is authentic and equivalent to a completed credential in Canada. For prospective applicants, the ECA can provide a realistic understanding of how their foreign educational credentials are likely to be recognized in Canada.

Four organizations have been designated by the Minister to provide ECA reports for purposes of immigrating to Canada under the FSWP. Additional organizations may be designated by CIC in the future. The designated organizations are:

Comparative Education Service

  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • World Education Services
  • Medical Council of Canada.

Assessment Fees:

ICAC CAD 150 to 350 FSW package

WES CAD 220 to 440

CES : CAD 250 to 400

The Medical Council of Canada has been designated only for those principal applicants who intend to apply with specialist physician (2011 National Occupation Classification [NOC] code 3111) or general practitioner/family physician (2011 NOC code 3112) as their primary occupation in their FSWP application. Neither NOC code 3111 nor 3112 is on the eligible occupations list that takes effect on May 4, so this will only affect those applying under the PhD stream or with a qualifying job offer based on those NOC codes.

Note: CIC will only accept ECA reports issued after the date the organization was designated by CIC to provide ECA reports for immigration purposes (i.e. April 17, 2013).

Basic Features of this visa

  • Canada Immigration or Canada PR Federal Skilled Worker visa allows you to work in Canada without the need to be sponsored by an employer, a Canadian work permit or a job offer
  • Successful applicants are free to work without any constraints/restrictions, unlike a work permit
  • After three years stay in the country, the applicant can apply for Canadian citizenship
  • Once you get your Canadian Passport & Citizenship, you can travel to many countries in the world without a visa
  • You can sponsor your immediate family & relatives to join you in Canada
  • Canadian permanent residences includes access to government subsidized education and healthcare (Medicare)
  • Unrestricted access to Canada’s labour market and associated insurance and pension benefits
  • The PR visa is now granted in 6-12 months instead of the previous 3+years
  • If the application is returned, the fee is refunded by the High Commission



Your application will be processed for FSW if you meet any of the following 3 criteria:

  1. You have at least one year of continuous full time or equivalent paid work experience in the last ten years in at least one of the occupational categories identified in the Ministerial Instructions.
  2. You have an offer of arranged employment in Canada. The employment offer should be:
  • In writing,
  • Indeterminate in duration, and
  • Meet the arranged employment factor
  1. You are an international student currently enrolled in a doctoral (PhD) program, delivered by a recognized post-secondary educational institution located in Canada,and:
  • Have completed at least two years towards the completion of your PhD,
  • Are in good academic standingand
  • Are not a recipient of a Government of Canada award requiring you to return to your home country to apply your knowledge and skills,or

You have completed a PhD program from a recognized post-secondary educational institution located in Canada no more than 12 months before your application is received by the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) and:

  • You have not received a Government of Canada award that requires you to return to your home country to apply your knowledge and skills;or
  • If you were a recipient of such an award, you have satisfied the terms/conditions of the award.